Enter… The Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti Squash

Uh.... Looks like pasta to me mom!

Venturing into “new” ingredients, I’ve been staring at this large yellow gourd for a few days now. But thanks to Todd (@PhitZone), Deb (@DebRoby), & Shelley (@Momma_Oz), I just went for it.

I roasted the spaghetti squash (along with some other squashes & peppers), made the sauce, and carmelized some onions for pizazz. While “forking” the squash (I made my 17 year old son watch), we were both sort of amazed at the stringy stuff that was coming out. He asked what it tasted like, I shrugged, and we both tasted it. I told him he could have some pasta if he wanted, and he said, “What the heck, it’s already made. I’ll have this.” (Proud mama moment, eh?)

I’ve gotta say I’ve been missing some of my Italian meat sauces the last couple of months since I’ve been watching my starches.  Quick, easy and tasty dishes like this remind me that I like vegetables ;-) This one’s a keeper!

And if you haven’t done so, check out the sites for Todd, Deb, and Shelley – thanks so much for being my cooking coach ;-)

Comments

1. Shell says:

Looks so good!!!!

2. run4joy59 says:

yum…another great way to up the veggie intake..very cool that your son decided to go with the squash rather than pasta!!

• krismoconnor says:

Indeed! Mo’ Veggies! Gotta be creative with this, because as much as I love basil, garlic, grilling, roasting, balsamic, carmelized onions – 5 a day can be challenging LOL Thanks for stopping by!

3. phitzone says:

Kris, thank you for the mention. That plate looks wonderful with the other fixin’s. I’m glad that you and your family enjoyed it. I think we’ll have to put this one on the menu next week.

• krismoconnor says:

Thanks Todd! I was shocked at how well the spaghetti squash worked – sort of giggly pleased actually. Super hearty & super sub for the pasta. Thanks again for stopping by!

4. I haven’t cooked spaghetti squash in ages but thanks for the reminder. My kids are pasta fiends and this would be a great idea to reintroduce! Yummy idea!

• krismoconnor says:

Seriously – we were both standing over the counter – looking incredulously at this stuff that came out of a gourd that looked spaghetti. He’s super picky, me less so, and it’s definitely a keeper! Thanks Joyce for stopping by!

5. deb roby says:

Glad to help convert someone to this yummy dish. I’ve been eating it for (cogitate… uhm… ) 30 years!?!

When I was in grad school -work all day, drive to night school, get home at 10 pm.- I’d make this on the weekend and eat for lunch at work. It would hold me over til that very late supper. And now that wheat doesn’t agree with me that much, it’s my winter stand by pasta.

And -if you garden- it’s as easy to grow as zucchini.

• krismoconnor says:

Hi Deb! Uh – you’ve been cooking longer than I have – I know I will learn from you! I can totally see this as being a “go to” – so simple, so versatile, so sneaky to get those veggies in. I hear what you mean about wheat – I don’t think I have anything official – but I must say, that I think staying clear of it has agreed with me. Garden? I pledge to keep my garden alive next year ;-)) Thanks for stopping by!

6. Karen says:

I am so impressed with your son! My teen won’t touch vegetables:(

• krismoconnor says:

Oh Karen – I hear you… I think he just didn’t want to make the pasta LOL He’s 17 and his eating habits, are, well, not good (I have a big responsibility in that) – but I haven’t given up yet! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Trackbacks

1. [...] discovering winter squashes, and I’m just giddy! I usually roast them and either stuff them, fork them,  or  mush mash them. But I’m on vacation with no time restraints, so I thought I’d [...]