I Loved This Crossfit Workout | Surprise to the Reluctant Exerciser

Blurry Phone Pic of Sonjia and Me - Isn't She Adorable? And if you're lovin' those guns, you should see her arse :D

Despite my best intentions NOT to go, I put on my shoes 20 minutes before the class, drank a shake and some water, and headed to the gym to try one of Sonjia’s crossfit workouts. Deep down, I’m a couch potato, faint fearing, sissy. That said, this reluctant exerciser is giddy to really enjoy a workout!  And I’m even more stoked to do really well! You know… the ones where you keep going because you’re feeling like an animal? Well, that’s how this crossfit workout went for me. I did all the moves with little adjustment. I rested very little. And I was very proud of my endurance, strength, and intensity!

Why I Loved This Crossfit Workout

• I can do anything for 5 reps
  • I can do almost anything for 4 minutes
  • The reps and time match my attention span
  • It tricked me into doing a lot of reps without really knowing it
  • It worked my whole body – strength wise and endurance wise
  • It was challenging but doable
  • I sweated for 30 minutes after the cool down

Crossfit Workout

Note: We rested if we wanted to in between each set.

• Dynamic Warm Up: OK I soooo don’t know how to describe this, but it included both standing and mat work. I LOVE this new type of warmup! <Post to come>
  • Alternating regular and side planks for 20 seconds w 10 second rest in between (Repeat for 4 minutes)
  • 5 Pull Ups + 5 Box Jumps (Repeat for 4 minutes)
  • 5 Rear Delt Rows (rings) + 5 Squat/Shoulder Press (Repeat for 4 minutes)
  • 5 Dead Lifts + 5 Pushups (Repeat for 4 minutes)
  • Sled Push (this weird metal thing that I pushed across the room) + 5 V- Ups (YUCK!)  (repeat for 4 minutes)
  • 5 Walking Lunges (with overhead weight) + 5 Burpees (Repeat for 4 minutes)
  • Tabata Closer. Mountain climbers (20 seconds), rest (10 seconds), speed skaters (20 seconds), rest (10 seconds) – repeat for 4 minutes
  • Cooooooooool down and foam roller ;)

What I Love About Sonjia’s Class

• EVERYTHING is scalable – we have all ages and fitness levels involved with these classes. (I did a couple of modified burpees in that set cuz my heart rate was UP and I wanted to recover but keep moving.)
  • There is total freedom to rest and go at your own pace. No one stares at you or yells at you if you’re not going as heavy or fast or crazy as anyone else.
  • We get to workout with buddies, but we’re not competing against anyone else.
  • I workout WAY harder than I would on my own (remember, I’m a sissy).
  • I ALWAYS drink a lot of water without really trying :D

More Great Workout Posts From My Buddies

When was the last time you surprised yourself at a workout?

Comments

1. I’ve been hearing so much about crossfit lately. That’s great you enjoyed it despite your best intentions ;-) I always try to remind myself of timeframes like that: I can do anything for 60 seconds.
    Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Hectic Hump Day &amp BBQ Tempeh &amp Portobello Sandwiches

• Kris says:

YES! I LOVE 60 second exercises (if they’re not too hard LOL). I think what I love about these is that it’s so DIFFERENT and it keeps moving – so my HR stays high (better than traditional cardio) and it’s strength based. So, since I’m essentially lazy, I’m getting two for one ;)

2. Awww, thanks for the shoutout! So we finally get to see Sonjia – the one who keeps you challenged to the max! I dunno Kris, this one might really kick my butt. Though I might be underestimating myself… the last Sonjia-style workout of yours I did was MUCH more doable the second time. It speaks to how vital it is that we keep the challenge in our workouts, lest we freefall into a plateau. Thanks for sharing, will do this one with my buddy Amy next week. (As for you and me, I have other ideas!!! Can’t wait to see you xoxo)
    Suzanne @WorkoutNirvana recently posted..Align Yourself with Proper Squat Technique

• Kris says:

I can’t WAIT til next week! Even tho I’m-a-little-scared (ok a lot) – but we will have SO much fun! We did a quick video too for her website – it was SOOO funny and we goofed up all the time so it took us 7 times – I’ll have to post that too. Thanks So Much!

3. I tried Crossfit once. Like you apparently, I have a short attention span so that was my favorite part about it. LOL! Way to kill it, Kris! ONE WEEK… :)
    Casey (The Hippie Health Nut) recently posted..Sweat Baby- Sweat!

• Kris says:

Yep – we just trudge along – 5 reps at a time – I go SUPER easy in terms of pace – but I try to keep moving. And low and behold – BAM! I’ve done a bunch. It is no small miracle – trust me!

4. I need to try crossfit!! I love your description – the reps and time match my attention span!! <– THAT got MY attention! :)
    Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..mango and onion quinoa salad

• Kris says:

Yes – and unlike the hamster wheel – we get to move on to other stuff! I talk about hamsters a lot. I think I have an attention span like them – not their endurance tho. I love these cuz they are SO not boring – you must try!

5. Missy says:

Sounds like fun!

6. Wendy says:

Sounds fun! I guess I’ll have to put it on my list of “must tries”!
    Wendy recently posted..Eating Local is Eating Healthy

• Kris says:

Yes! And it could be totally modified – at home, no equipment, some equipment, at a playground – the framework is super flexible. Let me know how it goes!

7. I think I would love crossfit! I love doing things randomly. I completely tricks you into thinking you’re doing something else…like not working out. Besides, you keep from getting bored.

Thank you for your sweet comment to me yesterday. I love sharing my family’s journey work food restrictions and I truly hope it helps others. Have a great weekend Kris!

• Kris says:

YES! TRICKERY! EXACTLY! Personally, that is my secret sauce… I totally rely on it ;)
      And yes, I love your site and loved learning a bit about you. I’m sharing your stuff with my sis (aka my nephew’s mom – ha) .

Happy weekend to you too Sarena!

8. Just reading that workout makes me sweat! I have a short attention span too, so I can totally understand why these workouts are so popular. Good job crushin’ it!
    Heather @ Not a DIY Life recently posted..The Spouses Challenge

• Kris says:

I love workouts for my short attention span – mentally, I just have a hard time going a long time. It’s funny, if you ask me if I could do 40 assisted pull ups, I’d say – no way! But lo and behold, broken into smaller pieces, it happens. #nosmallmiracle

9. Yum Yucky says:

A sissy? You crack me up, acting like you’re an exercise flunky that’s glued to the couch. Yeah, riiight.
    Yum Yucky recently posted..My Bikini Body Sneak Preview!

• Kris says:

Uh – it’s true – I’m an exercise FAKER – I’m faking my way to eventually love it – trickery I say…. TRICKERY!

10. Your post made me want to join in with ya! Great post and love how you got inspired! It sounds like you found the perfect crossfit class!
    Joyce Cherrier recently posted..5 Healthy Things I Can’t Live Without

• Kris says:

Why thank you! I will totally take inspired – any way I can…. trickery and miscounting also accepted :D

11. Gretchen Gallagher says:

<– THAT got MY attention! I love these cuz they are SO not boring – you must try! Happy weekend to you too Sarena! Didn't even know they had a name…
    Gretchen Gallagher recently posted..Cancer Tips

Trackbacks

1. [...] Doable Workout | Surprise to the Reluctant Exerciser Filed Under: Tripping Down the Fitness Path Tagged With: crunch, Sonjia, trainer Kraziness to the LeftKraziness to the RightTimers Are for Toddlers, Or Are They? | My War Against Email Clutter (Part 2) [...]

2. [...] I Loved This Crossfit Workout | Surprise to the Reluctant Exerciser (krismbeal.com) [...]

3. [...] following list focuses on weight-lifting exercises; it doesn’t include things like Tabata and Cross-fit, which rely more on body weight instead of equipment and increase endurance while burning [...]