I’ve been craving some old school comfort food; but it’s tricky because the old school comfort food for me has LOTS of white flour LOL. I tracked down this brown rice pasta and thought I’d give a healthy tuna casserole a try. Yes, it’s even gluten free (even though I don’t really follow that kind of stuff).
I was a little worried about the brown rice pasta. How would it cook? How would it taste? And I was pleasantly surprised! The consistency and taste was PERFECT and totally satisfied my little craving. Yep, I ate on this baby for a couple of days and it made my heart and taste buds smile. I’m not sure if you can call this a recipe, but here it is.
Healthy Tuna Casserole with Brown Rice Penne Pasta
- Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Rice Penne Pasta
- 2 Cans Tuna (in water of course LOL)
- 1 Box Pacific Natural Foods Cream of Mushroom Condensed Soup
- 1 Bag Frozen Peas
- Parmesan Cheese
Cook and drain the pasta according to directions; add the tuna, cream of mushroom soup, and frozen peas; add some liquid till it looks about right; top with parm; cook for a while til the top is crusty. Yep – that’s how I roll – cook by look – ha! And yes, I know there’s sodium in the soup and tuna, but since this is a BUNCH of servings, I’m totally not sweating it.
Check out these REAL recipes – AMAZING!
- Vegan Bolognese Sauce :: What Would Cathy Eat?
- Healthy Girl Scout Cookie Makeover :: Lentil Breakdown
- Pizza Challenge :: Cook Train Eat Race
- Healthy Mac & Cheese :: The Eating Rules
- Jalapeno Popper Sandwich :: Spabettie
- Chicken ‘n’ Dumplings :: Bran Appetit
Do you have any comfort food makeovers to share?
Note: I won some of the Pacific Natural Foods Soups through a contest with Spabettie. I didn’t get paid or coerced or schmoozed to write any of this. I’m just happy to have some new stuff to try since I’m the chief assembler in The Assembler’s Kitchen.