Healthy Tuna Casserole with Brown Rice Pasta | The Assembler’s Kitchen

healthy tuna casserole

Healthy Tuna Casserole with Brown Rice Penne Pasta

I’ve been craving some old school comfort food; but it’s tricky because the old school comfort food for me has LOTS of white flour LOL. I tracked down this brown rice pasta and thought I’d give a healthy tuna casserole a try. Yes, it’s even gluten free (even though I don’t really follow that kind of stuff).

I was a little worried about the brown rice pasta. How would it cook? How would it taste? And I was pleasantly surprised! The consistency and taste was PERFECT and totally satisfied my little craving. Yep, I ate on this baby for a couple of days and it made my heart and taste buds smile. I’m not sure if you can call this a recipe, but here it is.

Healthy Tuna Casserole with Brown Rice Penne Pasta

Cook and drain the pasta according to directions; add the tuna, cream of mushroom soup, and frozen peas; add some liquid till it looks about right; top with parm; cook for a while til the top is crusty. Yep – that’s how I roll – cook by look – ha! And yes, I know there’s sodium in the soup and tuna, but since this is a BUNCH of servings, I’m totally not sweating it.

Check out these REAL recipes – AMAZING!

Do you have any comfort food makeovers to share?

Note: I won some of the Pacific Natural Foods Soups through a contest with Spabettie. I didn’t get paid or coerced or schmoozed to write any of this. I’m just happy to have some new stuff to try since I’m the chief assembler in The Assembler’s Kitchen.

Comments

1. Not really; I’m not much of a cook. Okay, that might be an understatement! But I do eat a lot of pizza that I’ve made over. For the crust I use some flatbreads we get at Costco that are whole grain with lots of protein and fiber. Yum.
    Karen@WaistingTime recently posted..Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Thumber

• Kris says:

YUM!!!! I know I love you cuz neither of us “cook” ha! Love the flatbread idea…. I did a pizza on a tortilla – uh – it was amazing! I’ll have to try that again actually :)

2. Denise says:

LOVE that recipe, Kris – with my diabetes, I’m really fighting to find yummy comfort food that doesn’t spike my blood sugar and this one definitely qualifies!
    Denise recently posted..Wanting and doing are sometimes very different things

• Kris says:

Yes! I’m not diabetic, but I really try to watch my sugar spikes – I think that’s big for me actually. So yes I watch all kinds of carbs (fruit, etc). I gotta say, after a LONG time with no pasta-ish stuff, this tasted really, REALLY great!

3. YES, this is a recipe! ;) happy you are liking the Pacific Foods LOOT and also happy you found and like the rice pasta – we LOVE that here! (first time I ever made it was a Big Fail, I salted the water as I normally do – the rice pasta soaked it all up and it was pretty much inedible!) too salty.

I also love the “cook by look” – I do this too, as well as by taste. ;)

thanks for the recipe roundup – those all look fab!
    Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..mint & chocolate chickpea cookie balls

• Kris says:

LOOOT is lovely – so grateful – really! That’s funny about the salt – that would have never occurred to me LOL xoxo

4. brandi says:

thanks so much for the link!

this makeover looks great. I love the TJ’s brown rice pasta. It has such a great texture.

5. Your pasta looks great… Thanks for reminding me that I’ve been wanting to try TJ’s Brown Rice Pasta. (And thanks for the link!)
    Andrew @ Eating Rules recently posted..Healthy Options at California Pizza Kitchen, Part 2: Pizza, Pasta, and the Kids Menu

6. Yum Yucky says:

Please don’t gasp at my confession: When I make my version of tuna casserole, I use the “tuna in oil”. Whooops! But I will add the peas like you from mow on. Nice touch!
    Yum Yucky recently posted..Non Toxic Anti-Mosquito Recipes: Take Yo’ Azz Outside! But Don’t Get All Bit Up

• Kris says:

I would expect no less – cuz we are sinnin’ sistahs! And yes – the peas are LOVELY! Funny, cuz afterwards I thought, “Hmmm shouldn’t this have lots of cheese melting on the inside?” I think casseroles are supposed to be that way. BUT I was so not missing the stringy gooey goodness – the crusty parm on the top was perfect!

Trackbacks

1. [...] Healthy Tuna Casserole with Brown Rice Pasta | The Assembler’s Kitchen (krismbeal.com) [...]