Couch Potato Workout | NFL Playoffs | The Reluctant Exerciser

Left to My Own Devices, I'm a Couch Potato

I’ve been battling the couch potato syndrome. Again.

I haven’t been completely inactive.  Recently I’ve developed a reluctant fondness for a few group classes. Yep, you heard it here. I actually like step and spin classes. Who am I?

But I haven’t been doing my old school, resistance workouts. Remember those? The ones where pushups, pullups, squats, and lunges were the foundation of every workout?

There has been no training with Sonjia. And the few crossfit classes I have tried have been too aggressive for me. I was so sore after a couple of them, I could hardly move for a few days. And for me, that’s not good.

Sooooooo… I’m weak. Unbelievably weak! Heck, we were doing some pushups and ab work in step class and YOWZA! They totally got me!

But I’ve had a hard time putting my shoes on.

I reached back into early motivation and successes and thought about the basics. I remembered when Lisa Johnson wrote about squeezing minutes of movement in. I remembered the beauty of an old school pushup. I remembered how STRONG I was with consistent, full body, light weight moves. I remembered how GOOD it felt to be STRONG.

I took the small but bold step.

I tweeted that I would do some stuff during the commercials of the football game. (Yes, I’m such a ditz I didn’t even realize there were two games.)

I know. For many of you, this sort of approach totally does not count as a workout. But for me, I am very much a fan of trickery. And my body likes when I move ANY WAY I CAN.

I pulled out the mat, dusted off the medicine ball and found the kettlebell. (Not a small feat considering everything is packed in anticipation for the move… sigh…)

And the NFL Playoff Couch Potato Workout was born.

Pushups, planks, bridges, kettle bell swings, light weight squats, side lunges with med ball chop, single arm clean & press, tri dips. You get the idea, right?

There were a lot of commercials, and half time was long enough to get in 3 sets of 3 exercises.

I didn’t really sweat. But I did warm up enough to take off my sweatshirt. Sure my heart didn’t get a workout, but my muscles did.

And I didn’t even have to put my shoes on. <snickers>

Do you ever trick yourself into exercising?

Comments

1. I loved this post. Trickery is a great impetus to exercise and cleaning the house, I’ve found. I’m so weary of right and wrong ways to do things. I understand that with a particular exercise we have to be careful and not do it a “wrong” way but I also know people who have hurt themselves doing it the “right” way.

Bottom line, you have your bod’ moving. Good for you. Accept. love, praise yourself for finding ways that things, in this case exercise, work for you. Ignore the exercisers you tell you, you have to do it their way. Bleck to them…at least in terms of telling us how to do things…unless we ask. and even then no condemnation.
    Cherry Woodburn recently posted..Confidence Chronicles | In Part 2, Tara Gentile Talks About Achieving Failure

• Kris says:

So true Cherry – move move move – it ALL counts! And yes, form does matter – I am sooooo grateful that I have a good foundation and toolbox from my dear Sonjia. So many options – yet I still find excuses. Oh well… a day at a time, eh?
      And TRICKERY rocks!

2. Most probably can’t relate with me because I love spending time in the gym. But they can relate with you… Although you love the benefits of working out, it’s not your passion. So what you did shows savvy and motivation. Kudos :).
    Suzanne @WorkoutNirvana recently posted..Fantastic Health & Body: One… Small Action… at a Time

• Kris says:

I wish it were my passion – but alas – it is not. BUT i do love feeling strong and happy – and these are definitely the path to that… And uh… there are LOTS that relate to you my friend! xoxo

3. Nice! I definitely trick myself. :) Some days I just want to move without putting as much thought into it. I’ve totally taken commercial workout breaks! And it’s like you said, you ARE moving.
    The Hippie Health Nut recently posted..Gluten Free Part 3: We’re Getting Somewhere

4. Stephen says:

You have to move move move and move. A simple movement can help you. Don’t be lazy, it can harm our health.
    Stephen recently posted..A Fresh Look at Hip Hop Dance Moves

5. Hey, it does not matter when or wear you do it but that you do it! We all have written about how to squeeze it in during the day & I have often written about these commercial workouts _ applaud yourself & a pat on the back for doing it!!!! Weight resistance is so important for sure!
    Jody – Fit at 54 recently posted..Gratitude Monday & Freedom/Acceptance

• Kris says:

Amen sistah! The minutes totally count… And, might I add, through the course of the day I did 100 pushups… not bad for a couch potato :)

6. I think that’s an incredibly valid workout!! 15 min circuit workouts in front of the TV are my savior at home!
    Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..30 in 40: My Thoughts on the Yoga Challenge

7. Coco says:

I didn’t workout while watching the game, but I did use the foam roller through the entire half time of the Patriots game. I was so glad when they started playing again!
    Coco recently posted..The Evil Done On My Behalf

8. Great post! Yes – I trick myself all the time, it’s called housework ;)
    Janice- The Fitness Cheerleader recently posted..Motivation Monday: Learning from the Past

9. Tara Burner says:

You rock!!!! :)
    there’s all kinds of ways to trick yourself into exercise…walking dog or chasing said dog when he pulls out of collar… housework, etc..
    Tara Burner recently posted..Wanting it badly enough

10. Jim Purdy says:

“And I didn’t even have to put my shoes on.”

LOL!

Every time I start exercising, I really enjoy it. Bit if I ever take a break for a few days, it gets very hard for me to start up again. And I’m in that difficult restart stage right now.
    Jim Purdy recently posted..Can a 68-year-old fat guy get fit by age 70?

• Kris says:

YES! My 1 day rest.. well let’s say… it can continue on and on and on… It seems I’m always in the restart stage (ok – not always) – but more often than I like. 20 minutes sunshine – no matter what – no sweat required. It’s my other trick :)

11. Janndi says:

I can definitely relate to you Kris..lol
    Janndi recently posted..Reflections Keppel Bay Singapore

12. Ms.Amber says:

I guess potato work out is a new way for gaining healthy body, Is it right? I want to try this kind of activities for new.
    Ms.Amber recently posted..2012 prophecy

Trackbacks

1. [...] are my gifts from doing a few Cindy’s, pulling out the kettlebell during football, squeezing in some pushups at work, and trying to be CONSISTENT about getting 20 minutes of [...]