Home Gym Envy

To most ordinary people this may look like a very nice laundry room.

And it is.

A lovely laundry room indeed.

The Laundry Room

But turn around 180 degrees…. and shaZAM!

The New Home Gym

Yep, one of the coolest things about the farm is that we have this REALLY big room downstairs that works great for a well equipped home gym. Yep, grandpa doesn’t have to share space with the elliptical when he visits.

And I mean, this space is AMAZING!

Room for HIS wicked cool bowflex dumbells, big boy bars, weight plates, Pro-Form spin bike, and tired bench.

And yes, room for MY girly weights, kettlebells, roller, my favorite squishy medicine ball from Target and rollers.

Oh yeah, did I mention the pull up bar?

Super Stoked About the Pull Up Bar

There’s a LOT of room in here, and there is PLENTY of room in each area/station that we can each comfortably do our own thing without being in the other person’s way. Mind you… we don’t talk when we work out. But we’re LEARNING how to workout in the same space at the same time. (I think we’re over the hard part.)

And… did I mention the name of the carpet? I could have SWORN he said it was called The Beast. Can that be any more perfect?

Plus – the views are beautiful and inspiring.

This is my view when I’m warming up on the bike. Did I mention how much I’m loving his our spin bike? I go downstairs to warm up on the bike (yes, mentally employing my 20 minute trickery strategy), and I inevitably stay on for a WHILE, feeling so good, that I bust out several more exercises.

Home Gyme View - Yep... This Clock Has a Second Hand :)

And the view from the “lifting” area.. (Side note: this was the first thing I ever gave the BF+ – waaaaaaaaaay back in the beginning of our courtship… Think what you will.)

Another View in the Home Gym

I had lost my groove a bit from the move. But with kind tweets, suggested moves, and jumprope encouragement from Carla (Mizfit Online), Suzanne (Workout Nirvana), & Heather (Smashfit), I have FOUND MY GROOVE! (And it feels darn good.)

Granted, we have some stuff. He had stuff, I had stuff, and together we had more stuff.

But I think it’s the SPACE that has been so amazing for us. I know that this will be a well used room at the farm… probably even more than the kitchen.

I gotta give a big shout out to the Sports Authority – I was pining for a new swiss ball, pull up bar, and some racks – great prices, great service, and uber fast shipping!

And to anyone who might care… we’ve paid for every single thing in this room.

So – do you workout at home? Prefer it? Hate it? Do Tell!

Comments

1. The thing that I like about working out at home is that I can just go ahead and do it. I don’t have to go all the way to the gym to get in a workout.
    But sometimes being out of the house motivates me to exercise more.

I don’t have a home gym though and it can be really expensive to buy all the equipment a gym has to offer.

I do a lot of yoga at home and sometimes body weight workouts (like bodyrock)

• Kris says:

I hear you! I’m kinda cyclic w my preferences – right now I’m in the workout-at-home mode. Even without the equipment, I can get a great workout at home! I’m still always doing my pushups, mountainclimbers, ball work – I don’t always use the equipment. And yes, I’ve even worked out in my jammies :)

2. Andrew says:

Looks great! I’m envious… (and love the picture – that’s hilarious!)
    Andrew recently posted..Five Words Ruined by the Food Industry

3. Kerri O says:

Loooooooooooove it…and jealous of the pull-up bar ;)
    Kerri O recently posted..FitViews Favorites: Running Capris – Crops

• Kris says:

Oooooh! I LOVE my pullup bar – seriously LOVE! I got mine for about $30 through Sports Authority (I’ve seen them at target too). Great investment, I try and do pullups someway-somehow at almost every workout :) thanks Kerri!

4. deb roby says:

I rather LOVE this home gym – and the views. I’m a big believer that you don’t need a lot of space if you have the right equipment and the discipline to use it.

And you do!
    deb roby recently posted..#19 Guest Post: Lessons Learned in Recovery

• Kris says:

Yes – one doesnt necessarily need a lot of space – I’ve been proof of that over the years for sure! But I do love having enough room for TWO people to work out. We don’t really talk or workout together – its sorta like toddler parallel play. He can lift, I can… do whatever… and I “think” I’ve figured out how to stay out of “his” way :)

5. tj says:

Cool “laundry room” :)

We have that pull up bar….sadly I can not do it at all. lol I do love how it can go from up to down, hidden away from the door frame easily!

• Kris says:

YES! I love the pullup bar – and believe me – pullups are HARD! I started with a band… then would do little jumps to get me started. I would really try to do SOMETHING with the pullup bar every workout, then magically, one day, I could do them on my own :)

6. Kris says:

ARE YOU LOOKIN AT MY GYM?? Who else could you be lookin’ at??

okay… a stretch, I know, but it’s the best Bickel I could do this morning.

excited for you and your new space – it looks perfect! Jason and I are currently looking at new homes, and I’d LOVE to have a separate place for my treadmill, etcetera… I have a few things I could make into a small gym ;)
    Kris recently posted..spicy stuffed sweet peppers

• Kris says:

YES! that was a very good one :)
      And I have to say, having a space to workout is LOVELY! Not that it’s necessary, of course

7. Tiff says:

Oooo, love the look of it! I usually prefer to visit a gym and get out of the house, but I do need at least a few key items for those days when I just don’t feel like communal showers, sweaty equipment, and the like.
    Tiff recently posted..LiveFit Start

• Kris says:

Amen! I’m all about choices – my favorite place to workout is the place where I do workout – ha! And that does vary from time to time :)

8. I envy the big windows! Our little workout area is in the back of the basement. But we do have a view of the big screen TV:)
    Karen@WaistingTime recently posted..Roll, Roll, Roll Your Thigh…

9. Rita says:

I love it! How awesome for you guys and more so that you’ve got your groove back. Nice places don’t work without mojo, right?

We have the same spin bike! Love it. Have you tried the iAmplify spin workouts? They are audio classes so you can actually do a regular spin class at home and keep it interesting. They have everything from 20 minute workouts to an hour for all different skill levels. They’ve been a God send for those of us that can’t access a class very often.

Have fun sexy momma!

10. Haha! Love “his” is now “ours.” That made me laugh! And I’m proud of you for getting back in the groove. And btw, I LOVE Sports Authority… cha-ching every time I walk in. Thanks for the shoutout love!!
    Suzanne @WorkoutNirvana recently posted..Crunches No More! Effective Core Training

11. Lisa says:

I am SOOOO jealous! I love your home gym! I wish I had a home gym. It would make working out at home more appealing to me. Unfortunately we just don’t have the room. :( If I workout at home, I’m stuck on the bike trainer in the living room or doing jumping jacks and burpees in front of my tv…
    Lisa recently posted..Leach Botanical Gardens

• Kris says:

Ooooh! I love working out in front of the tv! I’ve snuck in many minutes that way – TOTALLY counts in my book :)

12. Niiiiiice. And when I workout (which hasn’t been much lately), I do it at home. I’ve got my kettlebells and some awesome DVDs and I live in an area that is perfect for walking and running and doing pushups and triceps dips and lunges along the way!

13. Cheryl says:

I work out at a gym on an air force base. I am one of maybe three women in the free weight room. Need I say more?

14. Coco says:

OMG! You workout together? At the same time?
    We have a nice gym set up in our basement but there’s no view (no windows, but a door, but its just a basement stairwell) so the TV is an essential focal point. I’ve got the AM shift and he’s got the PM shift.
    Coco recently posted..My Egg Beaters Canvas

• Kris says:

ok – so we really don’t workout together… I listen to my ipod and he blasts the radio… but we do sometimes cross paths in the said gym area at the same time – ha! although…. if I time it just perfectly, sometimes he’ll help me in between his sets w pull ups or something.
      Baby steps…

15. I covet that washer & dryer cause I so need it!!!!!! As for the home gym – LOVE!!! I do love the gym but man would I love the bets of both worlds & have it at home & the gym! The view too!!! You are a lucky lady!
    Jody – Fit at 54 recently posted..A True Story of Never Giving Up

16. Totally jealous and I love that photo!

• Kris says:

Aw thanks! So funny, cuz Taxi Driver came on the other night… it was like our early dating days – ha!

17. Emergefit says:

Absolutely love it! Light = energy, window is good. You have enough to accomplish anything. Warms my heart in a fitness nerd kinda way. A home gym that gets used regularly is a great success story. I bow down….

• Kris says:

Yay Roy! And yes, I am actually using it – its sorta odd – but I’ve been really enjoying it. Who am I? And we really can do soooooooo much w the space and stuff we have. He’s actually been attaching bands to the pull up bar and doing cable type stuff (sorta odd for him cuz it is a band after all), but he’s really liking that option too :)

18. This is awesome!!! Nothing beats working outs at home. It’s there when you need it, No excuses!!

19. Ms.Amber says:

I am so glad that you are getting you shape back.. Go for it! :) BTW I love what you did to your laundry room.. You can do you laundry while you are working at gym..
    Ms.Amber recently posted..Watch Movies

20. Love it my friend! You are officially a health nut! xoxo

21. Nice home gym!! I’m jealous! Have a great workout for me :)
    Janice – The Fitness Cheerleader recently posted..Why Summer Camp is Awesome (+ Enter to Win a Camp Session and a Trip to Punta Cana)

Trackbacks

1. [...] AND, I’ve been very consistent with the workouts – I’m loving our new gym! [...]