My GAWD He Eats a Lot!

Other possible titles:

He’s a Metabolic Machine | I Hate Him
Why Can HE Eat So Much Crap and I Can’t?
He’s Eating. AGAIN. Really?
My Pooch Is Back and It’s All His Fault

So we’re settling in at the farm and enjoying our new co-borrower-shacking-up relationship.

I always sorta knew that he ate a lot (there would never be leftovers when he came over to my house). And I sorta knew that he liked to snack (he would devour the boxes of cereal bars that I had for him).

But I didn’t REALLY know how much he ate ALL THE TIME until I observed first hand – all day, every day, repeat.

For breakfast, he eats a big bowl of oatmeal, 2 bananas, and a yogurt. For lunch he eats 2 sandwiches, tamales, yogurts and cereal bars.  For dinner, he has two BIG plates of meat, rice, & beans. He sometimes humors me with veggies. Then, about 15 minutes later, he eats 2 fruit flavored chobanis and 3 crappy cereal bars. And he snacks. All the time.

Really?

Veggies - She Likes Them! She Likes Them!

OK – back to the point of all this.

My clothes are getting tighter, and the scale confirmed my suspicion. (Note: I am not an obsessive weigher.)

Now it USED to be that I could stop eating out, stop drinking diet sodas, lay off the bread, drink some more water, get off the couch, and I could “lose” the pooch.

Well…. I’m already doing those things. {SHRIEK!!!!!}

• I’ve only been eating out maybe once a week, and when I do, it’s a salad (granted, a big yummy salad, but still, not a crappy/carb loaded meal).
  • I’ve been very good with my water.
  • I’m eating a healthy breakfast every day (plain greek Chobani yogurt, berries nuts)
  • I can’t remember the last time I had a soda.
  • I’ve been very good about the bread and grains thing – I’m enjoying our spaghetti over a nice big bowl of spinach rather than pasta.
  • AND, I’ve been very consistent with the workouts – I’m loving our new gym!

Don’t get me wrong – the nutrition side hasn’t been PERFECT – but the strays were just incidents and did not evolve to be a habit.

Geesh – I’ve even been eating VEGETABLES!!!! And a lot of them!

But the pants are tighter, the pooch is poochier, and the scale is indicating that my body might be settling in at a different point.

So I had to do a little inventory. What is different now? I realized that a lot of it has to do with food and my changed eating habits because of HIM. {Sorta Kidding}

• I’m snacking a bit – good snacks (mmmmm nuts and dried fruit) – but still snacking more than before
  • I’m eating on the regular sized dinner plates instead of my moderately sized pretty restaurant plates
  • I’m enjoying a healthy dessert at night – plain Chobani, chocolate chips, and nuts – mmm!
  • With the time change, we’re eating later
  • Overall, I’ve been eating more nuts, cheese, and chocolate. Not a LOT, but still more than before.

Remember, I’m not a calorie counter. I prefer to be a mindful label reader and eater. That said, my earlier research showed that 1600 – 1800 calories/day should be my target. (I know… that’s totally depressing… When I told HIM, he looked absolutely horrified!)

I’ve realized that it isn’t any ONE thing that’s getting me into trouble. It’s the cumulative effect of lots of little things.

More importantly, it wasn’t about eliminating anything bad, but rather watching my portions of the good.

Did I just allude to portion control?

Sigh…. Really? There was a time that the Power of More of the Good was an effective strategy for me!

So here’s my plan for some little portion control tips:

• Dig out my pretty white restaurant plates and bowls that are a bit smaller – fill them up and feel indulgent!
  • Eat dinner earlier
  • Sub some toasted flax seed for nuts on my yogurt/berry/crunchy breakfast and on my salads
  • Pass on topping every meal with cheese and nuts <winks>
  • Rather than prepping a small bowl of nuts and dried fruits, put them in my hand instead
  • Pass on dessert some nights – consider some other options….

I’m trying to not be discouraged, because there are a lot of bright sides to my consistency and current wellness level:

• I’m sleeping great!
  • My 10 lb medicine ball is feeling light…. And I remember when I gave my 6 pounder to my dad and thought, “Geesh, that was a BIG mistake.”
  • I can do more pullups. I’m loving my Rubberbanditz and have been alternating light/reps, heavy/less reps, no assistance – I LOVE pullups!
  • I’ve been doing very well with my water.
  • Considering I haven’t been “lifting” for a while, I’m quite pleased with my quick progress on bench presses and deadlifts.
  • My core is stronger, and my endurance is better.
  • I tried on my shorts from last year, and they fit!
  • We’re eating a lot of veggies & sitting down for meals together.
  • My jumprope is getting much better!

So as much as I’d like to blame HIM for this chapter, I know it’s not true. {Sorta believe that….}

So here’s what the title should be:

I Even Have to Watch the Good Foods…. Go Figure!

Do you have a “Him” or “Her” in your life? How do you manage your food habits around others?

Comments

1. LOL!! Um… YES! My boys eat SO MUCH more than I do (even when I was breastfeeding).
    Rachel @RunningRachel recently posted..FitSpiration Friday!!

2. Andrew says:

I’m male, 6’2″, and blessed with a pretty zippy metabolism… and I still can’t imagine eating that much food every day.
    Andrew recently posted..Grandma Rose’s Matzah Latkes

• Kris says:

it is UNBELIEVABLE! seriously! OK – so he has a physical job and he does lift weights. He even took 6 mo’s off working out cuz of his bike accident and gained no weight! Geesh…

3. oh sister i feel ya!! my husband is always having pizza so i need a nibble or ice cream i want a bite…it took me a few years to figure out the way to have a nibble and keep my weight in check..but darn him for being able to eat anything he wants and looking all fit!
    Amanda @RunToTheFinish recently posted..12 Places to Run Before You Die

4. lindsay says:

um yes, my crazy ironman husband eats his way through costco. sheesh!

• Kris says:

Geesh – I can’t even blame iron man mania on mine! He has the metabolism of a ferret! He just ate 2 big plates of dinner – 4 cereal bars… Then I heard him 10 minutes later rummaging through the snack bar. He’s an animal!

5. Men – they make me sick! ;-)

Kris, I am the one to say this being 55 this year.. AGE! I know you are younger than me BUT it started a few years ago. I know people hate to count calories & weight & all that other crap but all I can say is that age makes it so important to keep on top of this. Each 6 months it got worse from 50 on & now, OMG!!!! With all I do, I still have to be so careful AND I have reduced calories I take in little by little thru this so my body would adjust. It sucks but as women with that damn hormones, it is life. Some have better & some have it worse. I am on the worse side & I have to weight & watch & check clothes & do it all.. it sucks!!!! BUT I am alive so grateful! :-)

If I can help at all, let me know but seems like you know what ya have to do….
    Jody – Fit at 54 recently posted..Never Before Seen Ab Exercises & More Stuff…Friday the 13th!

• Kris says:

YES! It all changed for me at 30 – and then again at 40 – and as I approach 45, I think it’s happening AGAIN! So unfair, cuz we work so hard, eh?
      Dang BOYS!!!!!
      Love em and hate em!

• Cheryl says:

I am 58 and a half. I can pretty much eat whatever I want to as I swim, bike, run, yoga, weights and chase special ed kids around at a school all week. It’s all about intensity…

• Kris says:

That’s so great! I really think our bodies love to be more active and reward us for a lifestyle of activity. I’m just feeling a bit impatient and waiting for my body to kick in – ha!

6. Aw, my dear… love the positive thoughts while making changes! I certainly thought you looked fit and trim at our recent meet up. Yes, things do get rearranged and most likely will never go back to the way they “were,” but we adjust our expectations a bit. The biggest mistake I see women makung is not getting ENOUGH calories, which screws up the metabolism and eats away muscle. Looks like you probably are getting enough… just never go below your resting metabolic rate. Let me know if you have any questions sweet pea, I look at this stuff ev’ry day :)
    Suzanne @WorkoutNirvana recently posted..Gymboss Interval Timer Giveaway!

• Kris says:

Dang rearrangement! You are VERY sweet! Yep… I’ve been on the “not enough calories” thing once – not long… but yes, that is so important too! And yes, I think managing my expectations is definitely a factor. I am not a metabolic machine, and the fact is that when I start working out hard, I get bigger before I get smaller, and weigh more before I lose. My process ALWAYS takes a while, and for some reason I’m feeling impatient right now – ha!

7. Coco says:

For me, it’s my husband’s after-dinner snacking, usually peanut butter and graham crackers. It is so hard to see and smell that open jar without dipping a spoon in!
    Coco recently posted..Training Log: GW Parkway Classic (Week 2)

• Kris says:

Oh gosh… PB & Grahams? I might not be able to shake that image/taste/smell – ha! Sounds sooooooo good!

8. Cheryl says:

I eat more than my hubby at times. But I run more. He can’t as he has a fake hip. It’s all about intensity of workouts that burn, baby, burn.

• Kris says:

The intensity is absolutely part of this equation for me. When I’m working out harder for several months, my metabolism is much better. I’ve been very consistent lately, but not very intense. So that’s another post… I’m trying to not be a quitter – ha!

9. Mary Hartley says:

I have seen this a million times! You’re a little person like me, right? We are last in the food line that goes growing boys -> working men -> growing girls -> pregnant women -> young adults and tall people -> growing children -> little, older women last!! (assuming that everyone gets about the same amount of exercise.) I think about how to feed the fish – “only a pinch” – or the air plant – “leave it on the windowsill.” That’s me. And what you said about dessert: Pass on dessert some nights – consider some other options…. Dessert??? Is it a religious, civic or personal holiday? No? Tea for me. Sad but true. But it does save $$$.

• Kris says:

It’s so funny – sometimes I’m not interested in dessert. But lately its sorta gotten a hold of me, with no civic holiday to celebrate. I like the tea idea – yummy mint tea – might be perfect for that luxurious little taste in the evening.
      And yes, just a pinch for the fish – ha! LOVE that!